Monday, November 3, 2008

Forgive


for·give

verb, -gave, -giv·en, -giv·ing. –verb (used with object)

1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.

2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).

3. to grant pardon to (a person).

4. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies

5. to cancel an indebtedness or liability of: to forgive the interest owed on a loan.

–verb (used without object)

6. to pardon an offense or an offender.

All through childhood I was taught to say “sorry” for the offenses I made. The other child would say “okay” and off we’d go to play, our friendship instantly renewed.

Now that I’m an adult, I find it difficult to trust someone who has said sorry. Forgiving is easy, but it’s constantly on my mind: are they going to do it again? Can I trust them? Are they going to go back to the behavior that split our friendship in two?

She has apologized. And I do miss her friendship.

She says the circumstances have changed, but she said that before, too, and then let things go back to how they had been.

(sigh…)

I don’t know what to do.

1 comment:

annaliese said...

70 x 7. that's how many times Jesus said to forgive those who do us wrong. yes, you will continue to get hurt if you allow the offender too much access to you that they have not earned. but you can forgive, without allowing yourself to be walked on or hurt again.

I am praying for you, friend :)